Being surrounded by bags of chips and sinfully fatty dips as you veg out on the couch watching the game doesn’t exactly motivate you to put on your sneakers and hit the treadmill. But guess what? No one is asking you to. Instead of dragging yourself to the gym to sweat out the holiday goodies, you can get your heart pumping right where you are, all you have to do is get off the couch.
While you may find commercials to be somewhat annoying as they interrupt your intense football game or your favorite show, commercials are actually quite useful in that they can be used as a way to get some activity into your couch surfing session.
Commercials typically take up nine minutes of a half-hour long show and 17 minutes of an hour long show and if you’re watching a football game, the commercials run for roughly 25 minutes, depending on what’s going on in the game. This is great news for your fitness sake because it’s recommended that people get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, so if you watch two hours of TV, you could potentially be getting 34 minutes of exercise!
So what can you do to get your heart pumping?
- Squats (how many can you do before your show comes back on?)
- Jumping Jacks (just like grade school gym class)
- Bicep Curls (using weights, water bottles, food cans)
- Leg Lifts (do as many as you can for the entire commercial break, at next commercial break, do the other side)
- Couch Push-Ups (make sure to get your arms burning)
- Wall Sits (sit on an imaginary chair against the wall for the entire commercial break)
- Dance (to the beat of your own drummer)
- You can always move your exercise equipment into the TV room, by distracting yourself with what’s on the TV, you won’t even remember you’re on the machine walking or pedaling away
You see! Exercise doesn’t need to be a daunting task; it can easily be done anywhere, including right in front of your TV. By the time your program(s) are over, you’ll most likely feel energized enough (thanks to exercise’s endorphin’s, to actually go outside and take a walk and even if you don’t you will at least be happy you got your required amount of exercise for the day!