Does hitting “snooze” sound better than getting up for breakfast? Breakfast doesn’t have to take a long time and the benefits are big. A nutritious
breakfast will fuel you up for the classroom or a workout and rev your metabolism.
Make 1 of these easy to-go meals and you’ll get a good balance of healthy carbohydrates and protein so you won’t feel hungry before lunch. All that, and you’ll be out the door in 5 minutes or less.
Breakfast, fast-food style.
• Spread peanut butter on a whole-grain hot dog bun
• Stuff with a banana
• Grab a carton of low-fat yogurt
Instead of waiting at the drive-thru window:
• Break an egg into a small bowl, prick the yolk
or scramble the egg, cover the bowl with plastic, cook on 50% power until done — about 2 minutes
• While the egg cooks, toast a whole-grain English muffin (whole-grain waffles, pitas, bagels, or wraps
work too) with a slice of cheese. Top with cooked egg.
• Add a slice of lean ham, turkey, or Canadian bacon if you like
• Grab a piece of fruit
What to Drink? Water or low-fat milk is your best bet. Juice is high in sugar, which can just add extra calories your body doesn’t need. The best way to get your daily dose of fruit is to eat it. Then you won’t miss out on fiber and other nutrients. If you must have juice, make sure it is 100% fruit juice with no added sugar. Stick to a small 8-ounce cup — max — to keep sugar in check.
Toss into the blender:
• A handful of ice cubes
• Frozen or ripe fruit chunks (like mango or strawberries)
• 3/4 cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup orange juice
Crunch by the Handful
You don’t have to eat cereal with milk from a bowl.
• Fill a small plastic sandwich bag with whole-grain cereal or trail mix with nuts and dried fruit
• Take a carton of low-fat chocolate milk to drink
• Grab a piece of fruit Sandwich
Who says sandwiches are just for lunch?
• Get 2 slices of whole-grain bread
• Add last night’s leftover chicken or lean meat
• Pick a piece of low-fat cheese (If you want mayo, use no more than 1 tablespoon)
• Layer on lettuce and a few slices of tomato